1. What is the Idaho Society of Veterinary Technicians and Assistants?

The mission of the Idaho Society of Veterinary Technicians and Assistants (ISVTA) is to provide a forum for the support and interaction between Idaho’s veterinary technicians and assistants. In addition, we will encourage and promote professionalism, continuing education, and membership development. We will work to raise public awareness of veterinary health care issues and veterinary support staff duties and help foster good community/veterinary relations. We will act as the voice of the veterinary technicians and assistants in Idaho.

ISVTA President: Erica Mattox

ISVTA Vice President: OPEN

ISVTA Treasurer: OPEN

ISVTA Activities Director: OPEN

ISVTA Chapters

MVSVTA (Magic Valley) President: Michelle Lewis

TVSVTA (Treasure Valley)President: Nicole Zacharias

EISVTA (Eastern Idaho) President: OPEN

NISVTA (Northern Idaho) President: OPEN


The ISVTA has 28 members as of January 21,2016.

2. How do I get involved?

The ISVTA and chapters are in need of officers!  There are several possitions open.  If you are not interested in being an officer but wish to help we are always looking for extra hands at events.  For more information please contact the ISVTA today!

3. What is the difference between a Veterinary Technician and a Veterinary Assistant?

Persons with varying degrees of educational experience are staffing the veterinary hospital. Tasks performed in the hospital, to provide animal care, should be assigned to persons in the level where education and training exists to ensure a positive outcome for the patient.

The veterinary Technician is educated to be the veterinarian’s assistant, laboratory technician, radiography technician, anesthetist, surgical technician and client educator. Many veterinary technicians are placed in a supervisory role in veterinary practices, research institutions and other employment options. Veterinary technicians can find employment in veterinary practices, biomedical research, zoo/wildlife medicine, industry, military, livestock health management, pharmaceutical sales, etc. A veterinary technician is a graduate from a two-year, American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited program from a community college, college or university. Almost every state requires a veterinary technician to take and pass a credentialing exam. Passing this exam ensures the public that the veterinary technician has entry-level knowledge of the duties they are asked to perform in the veterinary clinic or hospital.

A veterinary technician specialist has met the same requirements as above plus spends about 75% of their time doing a specific task and has passed a specialist certification exam administered by a Specialist Academy.

The veterinary assistant may have training through a high school, college certificate program or through a distant learning program over the Internet. Most, however, are trained on the job by the veterinarian or the veterinary technician. Their role is to assist the veterinarian or the veterinary technician in their daily tasks as well as some basic duties such as setting up of equipment and cleaning of key areas in the clinic like the surgery suite. Some may be asked to do kennel cleaning and janitorial work as well. NAVTA has recently created a Approved Veterinary Assistant program.

4. Where are the programs for Veterinary Technicians?

There are over 160 AVMA accredited Veterinary Technology Programs located around the United States. You can earn either an Associate Degree, which takes 2 years or a Bachelor’s Degree, which takes 4 years at the various community colleges, colleges and universities offering a veterinary technology program. There are a number of distance learning veterinary technology programs that are also AVMA accredited and can be accessed through the web.

To view the list of AVMA accredited programs, click here.

The cost varies from school to school. You should contact the school of your choice and they will be able to give you information regarding tuition, as well as financial aid.

5.  Where are the programs for Veterinary Assistants?

Most high school or college counselors can provide a catalog of veterinary assistant programs across the country. There is one internet program available. Visit VetMedTeam.com for more information.

6.  What is the difference between RVT, LVT, and CVT?

Each state regulates their veterinary technicians differently. Some are registered, some licensed and some certified. Most states use the Veterinary Technician National Exam, and regardless of which title is bestowed after passing the exam, you can have the score you received in one state transferred to another if the two states use the same exam. In most cases, after paying the state’s fee, you are then considered certified, licensed or registered in that state. Some states require a practical exam in addition to the written national exam. You would then have to fulfill that requirement before becoming fully credentialed in that state.

For more information on credentialing of veterinary technicians click here .

Regulations for setting exams are found on the American Association of Veterinary State Boards web site. To find out what your state requires, go to the AAVSB website by clicking here.


7.  I am interested in specialty certification, can you tell me more about it?

Find current information about the specialties currently recognized by NAVTA and obtain contact information for them by visiting the NAVTA specialties page here.
Powered by WordPress | Designed by Elegant Themes